Tuesday 25 November 2008

So What's Going On?


This magnificent building(!) is University College Hospital, a place that is now very well known to me. The top floor of this tower is the transplant unit where I'll be taking up residence shortly to undergo a gruelling Autologous Stem Cell Transplant. (More on this later) It's all in a bid to get me a decent period of remission from my cancer, a type of low grade Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma which goes by the name of Waldenstrom's Macroglobuliemia. The thing about these types of malignancies is that because they are low grade or indolent they are pretty much impossible to cure and the treatments you have for them ratchet up and up in intensity in a bid to try and acheive the longest possible remission. My hope is that by having this procedure now I can enjoy a good few years disease free before I have to start thinking about the next level up in nastiness and toxicity. That's the problem with the treatments currently available, they are extremely unpleasant; there just seems to be no gentle way of dealing with the problem. All this nastiness happens in a building that has been deemed a carbuncle according to this architecture website.

“Some buildings make your heart freeze when you look at them and this is one of them. This building is utterly without joy. It kills the Euston Road.”

Well it certainly makes my heart freeze when I see it, but that's got nothing to do with design aesthetics!

No comments: